Thursday, December 16, 2010

Lolita's in love

Let me begin with stating that a relationship is not essential for happiness. I'd rather spend my life single than in an unsatisfying relationship. As much as I love romantic stories, I think it's stupid when people think you can't have a "happily ever after" without a wedding.


The idea of the perfect couple is not absent in lolita. Many secrets are about girls longing for their Prince Charming (or princess, of course). In photoshoots and drawings this idea is strengthened. A gothic girl with an aristocrat, a sweet lolita with a cute ouji, a Victorian gentleman with a classic lady. It makes for pretty pictures, but that doesn't mean the relationship is perfect. Sadly, the number of boys interested in lolita/aristo/dandy is small, and we can't all just turn lesbian either.

If you really want a boy who dresses in the same style as you, your choice is very limited. I know a couple of scene/goth/emo boys, and even some interested in visual kei or gyaru-o, but no aristo or dandy. Also, I find none of them very attractive. That's the second problem: you may find a boy who wants to dress up with you, but you also have to like him! I hope no one will enter a relationship just because "we look so good together". Your lover is not a fashion accesory! Another thing which I hope doesn't happen, is boyfriends being forced to dress up when they actually don't want to. You wouldn't like it if he forced you to dress 'normally' either, right?


I think the qualities of a lolita-proof boyfriend are not so different from the qualities any boy should have. He should support you in way of dressing, or at least don't mind it. Of course, he doesn't have to come to every meet-up with you, or participate in every photoshoot. I think it's also important to have someone to keep you down to earth. Someone who points out the impracticality of wearing lolita to this-and-this occasion, or tells you that you really don't need 6 pink dresses. Of course, this is not romantic at all, but I think it will make a relationship more lasting.

I'm very happy with my boyfriend. He's not really interested in fashion, but he had heard of lolita before I met him, which saved me a lot of explaining. I had just started with: "There's this fashion in Japan inspired by rococo and..." when he said: "Oh, you mean lolita?" He likes my way of dressing, though I think he does appreciate that I don't wear it 24/7. Most importantly, we love each other <3
Of course, it is essential that you have at least something in common. But it doesn't necessarily have to be your clothing style. My boyfriend wants to dress like the Beatles, I want to dress like a girl from a fairytale. But our other interests are very similar, as well as our characters, and I feel extremely happy with him.

It's like the old saying: it's the inside that counts. A pretty face or a pretty dress isn't everything. The most important thing is being happy together.

No comments:

Post a Comment