Sunday, July 7, 2013

Historical sewing plans: inspiration

Dear readers, am I tired! The Japanese language proficiency test (日本語能力試験; nihongo nouryoku shiken) was today. I have to wait 'till September to get the results, and by then I'll be home already. I really don't know whether I made it or not. It depends on kanji I think, the other parts went okay. I did N2, which is the second-highest of a total of 6 levels. For a job in Japan you probably need N1 which is near-native, but I don't think I'll ever go that far.
However, now that this test is over, it's awfully clear that I've only got a month left in Japan! The lessons are almost finished, and in the last weeks I want to travel around a bit with friends (perhaps even to South Korea!).

After that, I'll be back home again. Back to my lovely sewing machine which I've missed so much <3
And then... I'll be sewing like mad! I've got so many plans! Mostly historical. A wonderful person gave me a wonderful book for my birthday: 'Patterns of Fashion' by Janet Arnold, the 1660-1860 version. I really want the other versions as well, but let's start with this one.


So, my wish list. I used to have Lolita Dream Dresses, but now I have historical ones. I do have sketches of the actual dresses I want to sew, but for now I'll show you my sources of inspiration. In chronological order:

1500's: Italy: Renaissance. Da Vinci & Lucrezia Borgia.
While I don't think the silhouette would look that flattering on me, I do adore the sleeves. I just love how elaborate and detailed everything is. The hairstyles, too <3 Plus, I've always had a crush on Leonardo da Vinci.


Da Vinci's Lady with an Ermine.





1600's: Holland: Baroque. Vermeer & the Dutch Golden Age. France: Louis XIV.
Again, I don't think it's very flattering, but I love it because it's my heritage. I have always loved the paintings from the Dutch Golden Age (Rembrandt and Vermeer, to name a few) and through researching fashion I've discovered even more (Ter Borch). It was the time of Louis XIV, the Sun King of France and, to me, epitome of luxury and love for arts and elegance. Holland was one of the wealthiest countries in Europe and arts like painting, music and architecture flourished. 

Ter Borch.

Vermeer.

The Sun King, Louis XIV. Most fabulous man ever.

1700's: France: Rococo. Marie Antoinette.
Cliché, probably, but whatever. I love the decadence of this era. I really want to try to make a robe à la française, with the double pleated cape-like back. 

like this.
but this is pretty too...
 


1800-1820: England: Regency. Jane Austen!
A brief period of simpler, classical fashion before the hoop skirts came back in the Victorian time. I love Jane Austen's books and I love the screen versions too, particulary the BBC-series of Sense & Sensibility and Emma. My secret goal is to make dresses based on 5 of Austen's heroines; Elinor & Marianne, Emma, Jane & Elizabeth. Of course I like Fanny and Catherine and Anne as well, especially Anne, but I don't have a specific image in mind when I think of them. And it would be a bit too much otherwise... (as if it isn't already!)

BBC's Emma: Mr. Knightley & Emma.

BBC's Sense & Sensibility: Elinor and Marianne.
BBC'
s Sense & Sensibility.
 1850-1870:  England: Victorian (but only a small part). American Civil War.
To be honest, I don't care much for Victorian fashion. This must be shocking because Lolita always claimes to be based on Victorian (children's) clothing, and most historical sewing blogs I've found swoon over the period, but I just don't like bustle skirts. But I suppose I can't get away with completely ignoring Queen Victoria's reign of 63 years and 7 months, so I'll post the dresses from her time that I don't find too bad (the ones with round hoop skirts instead of bustles).

The same dress, two versions: with a jacket for daily wear...

and bare shoulders for the evening!

The Young Victoria. Vic's wedding dress even has its own Wikipedia page. Quite an achievement!

Speaking about wedding dresses, wouldn't this one be marvellous?
 1900-1920: French Belle Epoque, English Edwardian, and a little later: Downton Abbey.
I've discoverd this era through Downton Abbey, although the series begins when the Edwardian era stops, and flows into the roaring 20's (which I love as well, but won't cover today). There are lots of pretty dresses to be seen on the Crawley sisters, so I've added many more to my wishlist.





 Next time I'll post some drawings of dresses I'm planning to make. I do fear that most of them will continue to be Dream Dresses instead of Real ones for a long while, 'cause I really won't have time to sew a lot... :(

No comments:

Post a Comment