Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fasting

I wonder how many people that are celebrating carnival now, will fast for 40 days afterwards?

My mom told me about the catholic tradition of fasting from carnival till Easter. Her family would eat bread with only margarine, no meat, no alcohol and no candy. I thought it would be a good exercise in gratefulness, keeping measure, and perseverance. It might also make me lose weight (not that that's really neccesary, but still it would be nice). So I’m going to try it.
I won’t eat candy and meat until Easter, and I will drink only water. Avoiding chocolate is gonna be hard, because Easter eggs are already in store everywhere… I also won’t buy any new clothes or shoes. Sewing doesn’t count, that’s eco-friendly ;)
My mother also told me that her parents would quit smoking during the fasting… and that she prayed it would be over soon, not because she wanted candy, but because she wanted her parents to start smoking again. They became so easily irritated!

1 comment:

  1. We use to practice the same tradition here in our country. We call it Lenten Season. But, I think there are only few who does the fasting. But yeah, perhaps I will try this too! :) So my hubby won't be tempted to eat a lot. :) He'll have to settle for oatmeal. And I can use my time sewing and crocheting. ^_^

    ReplyDelete