Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hesitance to join the local community

As I've said before, I would love to be part of a lolita community. Sometimes I wish Singapore was closer, their community is so lovely and I've met so many sweet girls there. When I look at the German, Finnish or Swedish community I get the feeling all of the girls there are nice, talented, and dress great. The same can't be said about the community in Holland, unfortunately.
It's true that I've never met any of the girls in the community, so I might've gotten the wrong impression, but from what I've seen on their forum, youtube and various other sites, I've formed a very negative image of them.
There is a shop in Holland that sells lolita brand clothing (for twice the original price... -.-) and it's seen as the centre of the community. I get the feeling that the girl who runs the shop sees herself as the Queen of Dutch lolita, and that all the other girls are like her ladies-in-waiting. I don't like that.
Besides that, I've only seen two Dutch lolita's who dress themselves well (chokelate and ludivine).
The rest wears JSK's with nothing underneath it, skirts that are way too short, bare legs, or do nothing with their hair... In short, I think they look sloppy. Of course, there might be very well-dressed lolita's that just aren't active on the internet. But it's logical that I haven't found them yet, then.
There's a forum for Dutch lolita's, but I'm not a member there. I know it would be a good way to get to know the local lolita's better, but I have many objections against it. First, I don't like the site. It doesn't look good, and there's a lot of bad grammar and badly spelled words. Somehow that's a huge turn-off for me.
Furthermore, you have to send in some sort of application first, with a lot of personal information and a picture, and the shop owner (who also runs the forum... like I said: Queen Bee) has to approve of you before you're allowed to join. They say it's to prevent creeps from joining the forum, but I see it as a way of selecting 'ladies-in-waiting'.

I don't like all of this. I wish there were nice girls in pretty dresses, with whom I could go to conventions, have high tea, have a photoshoot at a park, etc. Girls with the same fascination for beautiful clothes as I have.
But I guess I won't find girls like that in my country. And even if there are nice lolita's, I might have offended them gravely by this post...

No comments:

Post a Comment