Thursday, March 3, 2011

leaning towards darker styles; Pirate-y outfit

From the browns and dark reds of autumn, my interest has moved to darker styles in winter. I've begun to develop a fancy for gothic styles, and also, surprisinly, for ouji and aristocrat.
My sudden love for gothic and aristo is probably because of Sena Jun, the actress who plays Death in Takarazuka's musical Elisabeth: 
Who could resist that?

I know, however, that gothic doesn't suit my face. I have a bit of a childish face, with round cheeks. I think gothic works better with high cheekbones, the typical 'vampire' face. Of course, it's all about how you carry yourself, so face doesn't have to matter much, but still I think gothic doesn't really suit me.
(There's also been a quite embarassing period in my life in which I tried very hard to become friends with the 'cool goths', and I was, well... a terrible wannabe. So I'm not eager to try it again.)

Also Akira, the model for the G&LB, made me love aristo and ouji. She has the same coolness around her as Sena Jun, the same nonchalant sexyness combined with elegance.
Strangely, I can only find 1 picture of her: 


I'm still not very fond of Mana, though. I know he's a very important figure in the lolita subculture, but I just don't like him very much. Although Moitie does have some beautiful clothes...
Gothic has such elegance, and its darkness fits the winter perfectly!
This picture shows the beauty of aristo and gothic lolita perfectly: it's romantic, elegant, dark and mysterious...

from http://newvoguechildren.blogspot.com/ I believe...

Since I'm not confident enough of my gothic-skills yet, I'll stick with darker classic. And, following Akira: pirate!

Skirt: handmade (copy of a Victorian Maiden skirt)
blouse & watch-on-a-chain: shops in Singapore
Everything else: offbrand


It's my first try at anything remotely pirate-y, so I hope it looks good. I definitely need a hat. I only have cute or ladylike hats, no pirate ones. My father has a Mexican sombrero, though, I bet that would look awesome! XD

I wore this to college with black corduroy pants instead of the skirt, and it looked quite dandy to me, but I wasn't able to take good pictures. It's just too dark in my room. Hopefully the sun will break through soon, then I'll take more pictures.
I really want to try out more gothic and ouji! But I'm afraid that once spring really arrives, my mind will be filled with pastel colors, long flowing dresses, air and sunlight, and not with the dark elegance of gothic...

No comments:

Post a Comment