Friday, March 18, 2011

Sewing, plans and results

I'm still worried about Japan, especially the nuclear reactors. I prayed today, even though I don't believe. I had watched the news and just folded my hands and begged ~insert divinity~ to let it be alright. In this case I could pray to Einstein, I guess. I really hope the sacrifices of those brave scientist and engineers won't be in vain.
All the stress about Japan resulted in breaking my fasting. When I feel bad, chocolate always cheers me up. But alas, my fasting plan failed. I still try to be moderate and sober with my food, but I'm not a very big eater so it's not that unusual.

Next week are the mid-terms. I have 2 exams (Cultural studies and Modern history) and 1 paper to write (Folklore). It's not very much, but I do have to spend a lot of time on it... And this weekend I want to sew, too! I've had a dress in my head for a few weeks, and it's urging me to get made.
I already have all the materials, and the design:



sloppy sketch, I'm sorry...

It's heavily inspired by Innocent World's maxi-dresses, for example the Alphabet Rose: http://hellolace.net/wardrobe/innocent-world/type/jsk/item/101/ and their Rococo dresses, like this one: http://hellolace.net/wardrobe/innocent-world/type/jsk/item/33/

I can't wait to sit behind the sewing machine again~ My fingers are itching to gather, pin and lace up.

I always have so many plans for future dresses, but I already have a small wardrobe filled with finished dresses. The light is slowly getting better, so I was able to take somewhat decent pictures.
Yes, those light spots on my skirt, that's... sunlight!


 
   
Mary Magdalene's 'Rote Rose' was my first Dream Dress, so it was one of the first lolita dresses I copied. It's not an exact replica, but it has the same aesthetic. I love the color, the gathered upper part, the ribbon on the empire waist, and also the length. It feels so luxurious.


This is the sailor OP I already posted a while ago, except now with an even hem. It was the first time I used this pattern, and I'm not happy with the skirt. It doesn't fit very well, it only allows a small petticoat, and the seams bulge in weird ways. But with some ironing, I hope no one will notice...I do think it's super cute, with the collar and the buttons and the boats on the ribbon~


And my beautiful Baroque Orchestra dress! I fell in love with this print the moment I saw it, and it's such a soft, fine corduroy too. I love everything about it. It's also very easy to dress up or down, and it's suitable for mori-girl inspired outfits!

I think my house would be filled to the roof with dresses if I had unlimited time and money. Sewing is a lot of work and sometimes I get really frustrated, but the results are definitely worth it :)

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore that last dress. The print is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rose fabric! It's exactly the style I'd like to get for a summer dress and I've been looking for ages to find something similar, but nooooo... Hopefully we'll get to see the dress made of it soon :)

    ReplyDelete